Treatment Options for Temporomandibular Joint Disorder
Do you have TMJ issues?
What treatment is available for TMJ disorders?
A range of treatment options are available for people with TMJ disorders. The specific intervention chosen will depend on the cause and severity of the pain and the impact of that pain on to patient’s daily life, as well as the specific symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder exhibited.
There are several different treatment options available to a sufferer of TMJ disorder, including:
- Medications – your treating practitioner may also prescribe some stronger pain medication as well as anti-inflammatory medication to help minimise pain and reduce inflammation. Specialized nerve pain medications can help in some cases. Medications to help with sleep quality may also be recommended.
- TMJ specific splints can help unload and protect the joint to help relieve the pain. Splints also help in modifying daytime muscle activities as well as in protecting the teeth.
- TMJ focused physiotherapy can assist with exercising and strengthening your jaw muscles and neck muscles. This will improve the jaw movement ranges and jaw functions. Acupuncture can be combined with physiotherapy to further help with the TMD pain.
- Intra-muscular injectable treatments can be effective in temporarily reducing muscular hyperactivity which causes muscle fatigue pain. It also reduces the amount of night–time grinding and clenching to further unload the TMJ from excessive forces.
- Stress management, behaviour and biofeed back therapy is sometimes required to modify established neural response pathways to the initial triggering factors such as pain. This is often facilitated by a trained psychologist.
- Arthroscopic procedures including washout of the joint by a TMJ surgeon may sometimes be required for ongoing TMJ inflammation. This is often accompanied with corticosteroid injection into the joint and also help establish further diagnosis into the cause of the TMD issues.
- For advanced arthritis of the temporomandibular joint, an open joint surgery by specialist TMJ surgeon may be considered.
Discuss your treatment options with our staff
TMJ Clinics takes pride in working with patients to develop a tailored treatment response that’s sensitive to your goals, requirements and circumstances.
Start a conversation with the staff at our two state-of-the-art clinics in Canberra and Sydney and find out how we can assist. Contact reception to arrange an appointment.